Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HELP!

Ok I need some advice. First off I need some advice on discpline. Raleigh is driving me crazy with his disobedient, defiant attitude. He talks back to me constantly, thinks he never has to do anything I ask him to and when I try to discipline him he kicks, hits, and screams bloody murder. I came to my wits end today when I was trying to get him in the car today to take him to preschool and we were running late. He wouldn't get in the car so I told him he had 3 seconds to get in or he was going to sit in his room ALL day. At this point he gets mad and screams at the top of his lungs which causes the neighbors to come running to see what happened. Talk about embarrassing. So I take him in the house and was going to put him in his room but being pregnant I don't want to carry a 40 pound child who is kicking and scratching up the stairs. Plus I really didn't want him to miss preschool because I don't want to pay for something that he doesn't go to. So I ended up throwing him into the car and taking him to preschool. Probably the wrong decision but I needed some peace and quiet. Raleigh is not always this way, some days his is a sweet little boy who is really helpful but the other days I about loose my mind. Any advice on what I can do to change his behavior would be much appreciated.

Also I need some advice on Jett. He is 16 months old and refuses to eat any table food other than cheese, bread and fruit. I have quit buying the baby foods that he loves and won't give him anything but what we are eating but then he just refuses to eat. Yesterday all he had to eat was oatmeal in the morning and water the rest of the day because he was to stubborn to eat anything else. I mean if you are lucky enough to get other foods in his mouth then he will just spit and spit and spit until ever last drop of that food is out of his mouth and then he will not open his mouth for anything else. When Jett got up this morning he was so lethargic he could hardly pull himself to stand in his crib and he was dry heaving because he was so hungry. But now that I have given him some food he is his normal self again. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get Jett to eat normal foods?

10 comments:

Van Cott Family said...

Hey, I feel your pain! Seth can be a challenge at times to say the least, thankfully since he has started talking more he has has improved, but we still struggle at times!

Anyway, I am a big fan of Love and Logic, if I were more consistent it would work better for me, but the one never fail method to get Seth to stop and revise his behavior when he is acting out, whining ect. is . . I start holding my ears or stomach, whatever and act sick all of a sudden and sit down (really act it out) talk really soft and say "uh oh Seth when you act like that you make mommy loose all her energy, now I can't make lunch (or what ever you where doing) oh I feel sooooo tired when you do that" (name specifically what he was doing) Long post sorry, but that hasn't let me down so far, I will be checking back to see what others advise, heaven knows we all need help in this department!
--Julie

Sarah said...

I use these types of questions in those types of situations: Do you want to get in your seat by yourself or, do you want mommy to help you get in it? or Do you want to get into your seat now or in 5 minutes? Either way I win. These types of questions can be used for anything. Just give him 2 choices and make sure no matter what you win. It makes him feel like he is making the choice, gives him his free agency in a way, and will probably be more happy.

With the whole eating thing, you just have to remember kids will not starve themselves, if they are hungry they will eat. It is hard to see them only eating crackers, fruit, and cheese, but it is better than nothing. You don't want to make eating a bad thing by forcing him to eat. Just give him the plate of food and let him choose what he wants to eat, and if he is hungry later offer healthy snacks.

That is my suggestions, good luck! I think we all need help raising our kids, I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child. I certainly could use some help with very emotional little 8 year old!

Amber Lynn said...

lol are you kidding, give me some advice while your at it.. heheh hope your feeling good!!!

Kristen said...

I have no advice for you but I was amused that I am not the only one with kid troubles.

Jennifer said...

Hey Deborah-
I've actually checked up on you a few time too ;) We did Love and Logic and it worked wonders! As for swimming lessons...her name is Jodi and her # is 796-9673 They do 20 min private lessons for 10 days in a row or longer if you want. I think 10 days is $120 per kid and she has a pool in her backyard in PG. She divides her pool into 3 lanes so there is a lesson going on in each lane. I know she still has random openings and different times so you could totally get in if you weren't too picky on an exact time of day every day. Good luck! We loved it!

Family Scads said...

Debs!
Hi there! Remember me? It's Kim Scadlock (Schaalje) from choir (we had way to much fun in choir). I saw your blog on another fellow Bruins blog and was so excited. Your family is so cute. I hope that you are doing great.
-Kim

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Deborah! Hey, it's Libby. I was so happy to run into you a while back. I am so sorry that I couldn't remember your name. I knew it, it just was not coming to me. I am slowly loosing brain cells (or I guess I should say quickly). It will be fun to stay in touch. Your boys are darling and congrats on being pregnant! I wish I had some good advice for you on discipline and eating issues, but since I need the same advice, I am at a loss. My boys are sure a handful and it sounds like you have your work cut out for you too. If it helps, just know that I am someone that understands where you're coming from. Best of luck!

Christine said...

Deborah...hey this is one of your many Gardner cousins...I am so excited to see you have a blog! How fun to see your little fam...they are adorable...and your life sounds pretty much like mine! I have no advice for you since I struggle most days to keep peace with our 2 little ones...but its fun! I hope your pregnancy is going well!

Amber Lynn said...

hey sweet ladie! just wanted to say hi, i hope your feeling good!

Beck Family said...

Hey guys- Its me Melissa Davies Brenda Lebaw from the ward gave me your blogspot. Its so fun to see how big Raleigh is. Last time I saw you guys was at Jair Almarez's wedding. We have three kids now too. Three boys. Don't you love it! As far as advice goes. Find things Jett will eat and feed it to him. Then slowly introduce him to new things. I think its better he eats a ton of what he likes than a lot of nothing. The tantrums- good luck! I think its a phase they all go through and then they start to calm down. Now that Jack is in kindergarten he is really learning how to take orders and he is much better behaved. Just enjoy the good times as much as you can.