Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Letter To Myself

If I could send myself a letter from the person I am now to myself when I was younger this is what I would say. (Elena, thanks for another great idea for my blog).

1. Don’t cut bangs in Jr high, you will look like a complete dork.

2. Warren W. had a crush on you but it is better to just stay friends.

3. Slapping people on the butt for wearing guess jeans and saying “Guess Butt” was a really stupid game. Plus you just looked dumb doing it.

4. Be nicer to Becca J. because she is a really cool girl.

5. Learn how to study and do better in school so you don’t have to feel so dumb all the time.

6. Write about more than just boys in your journal. Your posterity will want to know more about you then just your latest crush.

7. Don’t take your flat stomach for granted because after kids you won’t have it any more.

8. Your last semester at Ricks go out more instead of being depressed over a dumb boy.

9. The “Mexican Drug Dealer” or so he was labeled, is a player. (He is not mexican or a drug dealer, as far as I know, but the look of his car made him appear that way to some) Have fun while you date him because you learn a lot and become a stronger person because of him but beware that he is not what he appears to be.

10. Don’t worry about Steve’s indecision about your dating/non dating relationship, just hang in there. It all works out in the end and it is TOTALLY worth it.

11. The night before your wedding don’t let Dad climb a ladder in the cultural hall but if he decides to anyway know that even though it is a hard time he will survive and eventually be back to normal with the help of many doctors.

12. Don’t make such a big deal out of dating. Just go have a good time. On that note your life doesn’t need to revolve around boys.

13. Be nicer to the guys you go out with that you don’t think are your type.

14. Spend more time with Muffy. She is awesome and you will both miss getting to spend time with each other after you are married.

15. Finish college and don’t skip class just because you don’t feel like going.

16. Not making the basketball team in 7th grade is not the end of the world. You make it in 8th and 9th grade.

17. In 6th grade when Mrs. Gerry tells you that you sparkle when you sing, yes, it is embarrassing but if you make it into a joke before she gets the chance to make it worse by turing it into a role play for the class, the end result might be better. Good Luck!

18. Don’t play the bounce game on the trampoline with Tyson and Jaron. When it breaks Muffy will never let you live it down and will give you a hard time for the rest of your life.

19. Work harder and do more to accomplish your goals.

I am sure there is a lot more I could write but I can’t think of anything at the moment. Remember you have a great family and awesome friends. Never forget how much they have influenced your life and do a better job at keeping in touch with them.

Deb

6 comments:

THE FORSLOFF FAMILY said...

wow that is a good post, it is so funny what is so important back then doesn't matter now. Remembering all of the silly stuff we would do....we had some fun times. Hiding in the coat closet as to not get seen by my Mom, sliding down our stairs in our sleeping bags, I could go on and on.

Marianne said...

I just love remembering your funny boy crazy days! Ha ha, so great! I especially enjoyed the one about Guess Butt jeans...what were you thinking? The funny things we do!

I had so much fun with you at your house this weekend! Thanks for letting me stay. I laughed so hard my face hurt! I always love hangin' with you! I can't wait to see you this weekend for Birdie's Birthday! And hopefully after Wednesday of next week I'll get you those pics of everything up til now then!

Jared West said...

Hey Deb! It's Tauni. I found you through Mary Ann's blog. Your family is ADORABLE!!!! How are you? My blog is the4wests.blogspot.com WE need to keep in touch now!

The Davies Family said...

Hey Deborah, its Alexis Gustin..its been a long time..I found your blog also through Maryann's you have such a cute family. I can't believe how quickly time goes by..one minute we are playing at Orem Elementary School in third grade..the next we're in junior high and High School..now we have kids!!! Wow!! Ryan (my hubby) knew your hubby in the singles ward. Anyway, its good to keep in touch this way. our blog is
www.daviesfam5.blogspot.com

Mike said...

Yo, Boris. You are funny, but you should substitute "Spend more time with Marianne" to "Spend more time with Mike." Yeah, you know it's true. BTW, you missed out. We're having a great time in SoCal.

Becca Welch said...

Hey Deborah,
Just wanted to say hi... Love your blog, that was fun back in the day. I loved trying to be like you and Liz. You guys were so so cool. I also liked how you told me that raman noodles were worms.. ha ha. love ya-Becca
ps was that becca J, me?