Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Boris and Billy

I have had a lot of people ask me where the names Boris and Billy came from so I thought I would share the stories. Let’s start with Boris. My brother Mike loves to give people nicknames. Sometimes those nicknames would be similar to a persons name and other times it didn’t. However in my case he says it is an evolution of my name. So you start with the name Deborah and it evolved to Dee Bore Ah and slowly changed to Deboris and eventually ended with Boris. You would think that the name would not stick and to be honest it completely annoyed me every time he said it in the beginning. Somehow over time the name stuck and more and more people started calling me this until I finally became so used to the name that I would answer to it without even thinking about it. Now that it has been probably at least a decade since my brother gave me this name I have many family members and friends who call me by Boris more than they do by Deb or Deborah.
Now on to the history of the name Billy. Unlike the name Boris, Billy is one that Steve created on his own. Back in the beginning of our dating but not dating days Steve called my parents house one night to see if I was home. My sister Marianne answered the phone and told him I wasn’t home and asked who was calling. Steve not wanting my family to know that he kind of liked me (he is 9 ½ years older than me and didn’t know how my family would react) quickly told her his name was Billy. When I got home later she told me that “Billy” had called. I asked her who “Billy” was and she said she didn’t know. I had a feeling it was Steve so I checked the caller ID for his phone number. It wasn’t there. (He had called from a friends cell phone) Anyway to make a long story short I got it out of him later that it was him that had called and said his name was Billy and we had a good laugh about it. So there you have it. Nothing super exciting or anything but something most of you probably didn’t know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also, just so you know this was strike 1 against you Steve-o, it's a good thing I really like you now, Billy and all.

Kristen said...

Thanks for the story...you guys are a cute couple and have darling kids.

Anonymous said...

Boris...I still think the name fits so nicely, that it hasn't evolved again. I must say that I'm working on the evolution of Billy into Natasha.